REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
Country: Cayman Islands
Project: Central America and Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Program Project (P149670)
Grant No.: TF0A0564
Assignment Title: A Peer Review of the Earthquake (EQ) hazard and vulnerability modules of CCRIF’s EQ Loss Assessment Model (SPHERA) for Central America and the Caribbean and of the EQ country risk profiles.
Reference No: CCRIF-REF-9
The Project is financed through the Central America and Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Program (Program) Multi-Donor Trust Fund (MDTF), which is administered by the World Bank.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include a technical review of
- The deliverables of the Hazard Module and of the Vulnerability Module of the EQ SPHERA model, including:
- A consequence database of the main EQ loss events that occurred in the Caribbean and Central American regions in the last four decades. This database is expected to be used to calibrate/validate the EQ loss module
- Stochastic catalogs of simulated future EQs with characteristics of the events (e.g., magnitude, rupture geometry, rupture mechanism), that enable the computation of the EQ effects needed for loss computation.
- A set of EQ ground motion damage functions that relate the intensity of the effects of the EQ with the level of damage expressed in percentage of replacement cost of the asset. The effects of EQ considered here are limited to the ground motion and not to secondary effects such as ground failure due to the ground motion.
- A set of EQ risk profiles for all the countries modeled
- Review the vulnerability functions to assess whether the linkages between exposure and vulnerability are appropriate
- A technical document explaining the assumptions and methodology followed to build the EQ hazard and vulnerability SPHERA model and a brief description of the loss computation methodology utilized to compute the EQ country risk profiles.
- The model’s user manual to ensure that it is complete, and includes adequate, detailed and understandable information for end-users.
The Required Qualifications and Relevant Experience to perform the Services are:
- A Ph.D. degree in in Seismology or Earthquake Engineering with a specialty in EQ hazard and risk modeling, or an equivalent and suitable set of qualifications;
- Experience in developing and Peer Reviewing Earthquake risk estimation models or other similar experience;
- At least 10 years of proven experience as a reviewer of earthquake models;
- Excellent analytical skills, and ability to prepare professional narrative reports summarizing observations and conclusions;
- Good oral and written communication abilities in English are required and
- Experience and knowledge of the Central America and the Caribbean context.
The assignment is expected to commence in November 2017 upon execution of the contract and the expected level of effort (LOE) is no more than 10 days over a three-month period.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found attached below.
CCRIF SPC now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The shortlisting criteria is based on the above listed Required Qualifications and Relevant Experience.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Open Competitive Selection of Individual Consultants method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below by e-mail by November 24, 2017.
Subject Line - CCRIF-REF-9
Attn: Isaac Anthony, Chief Executive Officer
Registered Office: c/o Sagicor Insurance Managers Ltd., 198 North Church Street
2nd Floor, Sagicor House, P.O. Box 1087, Grand Cayman, KY1-1102, Cayman Islands