CDB lauds CCRIF’s Regional Internship Programme
Department Of Disaster Management Hosts CCRIF Intern
The CCRIF Regional Internship Programme - 2017
In 2015, CCRIF SPC launched its regional internship programme. The objective of this internship programme is to provide career-related work experience for CARICOM and/or CCRIF member country citizens that enhances their academic training and provides a real world introduction in the areas of disaster risk management, climate change, meteorology, risk transfer and/or risk modelling. These guidelines provide the framework for this internship programme.
Generally, the CCRIF Regional Internship Programme has been designed to:
- Promote academic, career and/or personal development for the selected interns
- Provide interns with the opportunity to integrate their academic knowledge with practical application and skill development in the workplace
- Provide experiential learning thereby ensuring that interns gain vital skills and experience that they will be able to use throughout their professional career
- Offer interns challenging assignments that benefit the regional organization while providing tangible work experience for the intern
- Enable interns to sample potential areas of work specialization and explore the workplace culture of the assigned regional organization
- Include an intentional "learning plan" for the intern that is structured into the work experience and includes learning objectives, observation, reflection, evaluation and assessment of interns
- Balance the intern’s own learning goals with the specific work the organization needs completed
- Be of a two-month to four-month duration, with a recommended internship of three months
- Ensure that interns are provided with an opportunity to network with key professionals and stakeholders working in the various areas of disaster risk management
- Be fulltime and may include work conducted onsite at the organization, remotely or both
- Where possible, be part of a post-graduate degree programme of the University of the West Indies, the University of Guyana or other regional university for academic credit.
Deadline for applications: May 1, 2017
HOST ORGANIZATIONS 2017
Potential host organizations for 2017 include, but are not limited to:
- National disaster management agencies
- National meteorological agencies
- Caribbean Disaster and Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA)
- Caribbean Development Bank (CDB)
- Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC)
- Caribbean Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH)
- Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) Commission
- University of the West Indies (UWI)
- Centre For Marine Sciences - Mona
- Centre For Resource Management And Environmental Studies (Cermes) – Cave Hill
- Climate Studies Group (Csgm), Department Of Physics - Mona
- Department Of Civil And Environmental Engineering – St. Augustine
- Department Of Geography & Geology - Mona
- Department Of Geography – St. Augustine
- Seismic Research Centre (SRC) – St. Augustine
Interns must be citizens of CARICOM and/or CCRIF member countries and must be graduates of a recognized university. They must have completed a course of study in any one of the following key areas of study:
- Disaster risk management
- Environmental management
- Climate studies
- Civil engineering
- Management studies with a focus on risk management
- Environmental economics
- Actuarial science
Preference will be given to candidates who are recipients of a CCRIF-UWI Scholarship or a CCRIF Scholarship.
Candidates applying must have completed their first degree by the closing date of applications or expected to complete their first degree by the beginning of the internship period.
Applicants must be available for a minimum of two months. The internship programme will normally be on a full-time basis. Interns will be expected to work five full days a week in the national or regional organization that has selected for them, under the supervision of an experienced staff member.
Applicants who are placed outside their home country will need to provide proof of health/medical insurance before arrangements will be made for the internship.